On a recent, chilly Saturday morning eleven Boy Scouts and friends from Berea Troop 228 assembled to do some spring painting. It was an Eagle Scout project directed by applicant Caleb Allen-Wagner. Their mission-- to paint the exterior of the addition on the rear of the schoolhouse housing the restrooms and multi-purpose room. The concrete block building and newly installed soffits and siding now have a much-needed fresh coat of paint. The Duration Paint was generously donated by Berea Sherwin-Williams.
Troop 228 painters participating in this successful project were Andrew Bachie, Henry Hinton, George Hinton, Nate French, Nate Samsel, Josh Gonzalez, Timmy Allen-Wagner, Nathan Allen-Wagner and Caleb Allen-Wagner. Some other helpers included Josh Custer, Alina Allen-Wagner and Ken McCarthy.
The painting is part of an on-going project to restore & preserve the Berea District 7 School, on The National Register of Historic Places. Other immediate plans in the works include remodeling the circa 1948 restrooms, the installation of a wheel-chair ramp for ADA compliance and completing the restoration of the bell tower begun last fall. The building houses an Art Center & Gallery run by the Berea Fine Arts Club www.BereaArts.org , established in 1935 at the Schoolhouse.
(photos by Caleb Allen-Wagner)
The mission of Berea Little Red School House Foundation is to preserve and restore the Berea District 7 Schoolhouse, an historical site and on the National Register of Historic Places, and to provide a facility in service to the community and perform other civic functions to improve our quality of life with emphasis on education in the arts.
Berea Little Red School House Foundation, Inc.
323 East Bagley Road
P.O. Box 124
Berea, OH 44017